Wednesday, February 9, 2011

For the love of the bike

For the last 5 years, I have gradually been developing my involvement in cycling from it being a form of rehabilitation for my ruined knees to president of a cycling club. In that time, I haven’t really taken a step back and fully appreciated just what cycling has done for me.

I first took up cycling as a 16 year old as recovery from a knee reconstruction. I had already acquired an interest in cycling from a previous rowing coach, who often quoted Armstrong and Merckx as motivation. The injury managed to convince my parents that I couldn’t risk my knees on running any longer and needed to find another fitness-oriented and competitive outlet. Its surprising how many people I have met since who have also taken up cycling to replace other higher impact sports due to knee or ankle injuries. Perhaps we are just meant to ride bikes!


In taking up cycling, I have discovered that it has such depth as an activity that you cannot just label it a ‘sport’. Sure, it has its own professional scene with numerous sub-divisions and a substantially developed local club level. But, as I mentioned before, cycling can be used as rehabilitation, as a social scene, as a fitness environment. It has almost limitless uses, which is what makes it so great.

It has done so much for me. It helped me regain full strength in my legs after knee reconstructions on both knees. It introduced me to another way of releasing my competitiveness without wrecking my knees. More importantly, however, it’s helped me meet some great new people and develop some fantastic relationships with those who share the passion. It’s in this that lies one of the greatest delights that I get from cycling. There is almost no better feeling than flying along Beach Road at speed with great mates around you.

It’s very easy to forget why we take part in the sport. I have mates and have met people at crits who are so wrapped up in their racing that they forget to enjoy themselves. It’s easy to do, especially for young guys fuelled by testosterone. Yet despite all the disappointments you might have, every now and again, its good to remember what it’s really all about. With my season goal of reaching B grade now fast slipping away, I had been disappointed with myself whenever I got on the bike. Yet a blast round Albert Park in anger when training for this weekend’s Team Time Trial at St Kilda CC put it all back in perspective. I remembered that you don’t have to come 1st, 2nd or 3rd to be satisfied. Just the feeling of whipping a group along at 40+ km/h is satisfying enough.

Cycling has also given me some great experiences as well. I’ve been on camps, ridden up difficult climbs, broken the road speed limit more than a few times under my own power, met some fantastic people, lost a bit of skin to the tarmac, met some amazing athletes, ridden in some terrible weather (and enjoyed it), amongst other things. Thankfully, cycling is more than willing to keep on throwing up these terrific opportunities. In July this year, as part of an extremely late 21st birthday present, I will travel to the Tour de France with my dad in what will be another exhilarating experience.

Most of all, the thing I relish most is the challenge. I’m not a natural born athlete nor am I a great build for a cyclist. Actually at 184cm and 88kg, I’m a terrible build for a cyclist. But there is nothing I love more than to see just how far I can push my body and mind in physical activity. Rowing and AFL was my previous outlet but time and injuries saw cycling replace these. I am the first to confess that I’m a terrible climber but I love pushing myself up hills just for the challenge. I love time trialling for the one-on-one battle your mind has against your body. I love riding in the rain and wind for the same reason. In reality, it’s not really about results, it’s about the journey along the way. Cycling has taken me on a fantastic journey, which, thankfully, has only just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment